There are a variety of treatments for depression available. New treatments ( medications and alternative therapies, such as dietary supplements ) do appear regularly. Ongoing research provides evidence of how well a treatment works.
We have chosen to give only a brief summary of treatments and instead direct you to research other sites which provide more comprehensive details.
As early as the 1960’s, Dr. Linus Pauling, winner of two Nobel Prizes, speculated that some people have a genetically-based need for more vitamins and minerals than others. He thought about the possibilities that mental illness could be the result of failing to meet these additional requirements.
Research is in its infancy on the subject of treatments for mental illnesses such as depression, bi-polar disorder and anxiety disorder; however, it is now starting to show that this hypothesis may be correct. Dr. Bruce Ames, at the University of Berkeley, has shown that genetic mutations often result in an increased need for nutrients. He also has found that taking additional specific nutrients could correct the deficiencies.
KEY POINTS ABOUT TREATMENTS FOR DEPRESSION
- We believe that different types of depression respond best to different sorts of treatments. There is no one particular magic treatment that fits everyone.
- It is important that a thorough and thoughtful assessment be carried out before any treatment is prescribed. Do your homework and become well informed. Get a second and third opinion until you find the healthcare professional you can trust.
- Treatments for depression include both psychological and physical interventions.
- Depression can sometimes go away of its own accord but, left untreated, it may last for many months.
- Depending on the nature of your depression, self-help and alternative therapies can also be helpful, either alone or in conjunction with physical and psychological treatments.
Get Your Free eBook Gift
Click 'Get it Now' to receive your FREE eBook called The A.B.C.s of Depression: Awareness—The foundation to empowerment toward Hope, Harmony, and Happiness. You will also receive our latest content by email.