Anxiety Disorders are a group of mental disorders that are characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear.
- Anxiety is a worry about future events.
- Fear is a reaction to current events.
These feelings may cause physical symptoms, such as a fast heart rate and causing one to tremble. There are a number of anxiety disorders: including
There are a number of anxiety disorders: including:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Specific Phobias
- Panic Disorder
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Agoraphobia, and
- Selective Mutism.
It is believed that the cause of anxiety disorders is a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Risk factors include a history of child abuse, family history of mental disorders, or poverty. Anxiety disorders often occur with other mental disorders, particularly
- Child abuse,
- A family history of mental disorders, or
Anxiety disorders often occur with other mental disorders, particularly: chronic depressive disorder
- Chronic Depressive Disorder
- Personality Disorder, or
- Substance Use Disorder
To be diagnosed, symptoms typically need to be present for at least six months, be more than would be expected for the situation, and decrease functioning. Other problems that may result in similar symptoms including hyperthyroidism, heart disease, caffeine, alcohol, or cannabis use; and withdrawal from certain drugs, among others.
Without treatment, anxiety disorders tend to remain. Treatment may include lifestyle changes, counseling, and medications. Counselling is typically with behavioral therapy. Medications, such as
Medications, such as an antidepressant or beta-blockers may improve symptoms.
- About 12% of people are affected by an anxiety disorder in a given year and between 5-30% are affected at some point in their life.
- Anxiety Disorders occur about twice as often in females as males, and
- Generally, begin before the age of 25.
- The most common are:
- specific phobia which affects nearly 12% and
- social anxiety disorder which affects 10% at some point in their life.
- Anxiety Disorders affect those between the ages of 15 and 35 and
- Become less common after the age of 55.
- Anxiety Disorders rates appear to be higher in the United States and Europe than any other region.
Get Your Free eBook Gift
Click 'Get it Now' to receive your FREE eBook called The A.B.C.s of Anxiety Disorders: Awareness—The foundation to empowerment toward Hope, Harmony, and Happiness. You will also receive our latest content by email.